terça-feira, janeiro 19, 2016

Meursault, contre-enquête, de Kamel Daoud

I love the writing of Camus, and even if my favorite of his books is La Peste, I also like L'Étranger a lot. So, I was curious when I knew about this Meursault contre-enquête, inspired by a very secondary character in Camus' novel, the Arab Meursault kills almost unconsciously. I always find interesting versions and variations inspired by good books' stories or characters - it always comes to mind the magnificent Wide Sargasso Sea, inspired by the first Mrs. Rochester in Jane Eyre, that actually impressed me more than the original. Books about books, like in The Name of the Rose, how can an incorrigible bookworm not be teased?

Meursault contre-enquête is a good book, although very far from the Camus novel. Very well written, even if a little repetitive, it expresses the sadness and frustration of a country caught in post-colonial impasse, something common to so many post-colonial countries, that can no longer blame their problems on colonialism but still haven't just not found their way. I have read some of Kamel Daoud's texts about Algeria, and he seems to be a sensible voice in a confused and mostly clueless region.

Sem comentários: