domingo, junho 24, 2018

Less, by Andrew Sean Greer

I loved this book. Can't remember why I put it on my to read list a few months ago, probably because a review caught my attention, and by the time I ordered it I noticed it had won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.

The writing is elegant, witty and joyful, the main character is extremely believable and loveable, the plot clever, ironic and healthily self-deprecating in the way it depicts, criticizes but also loves the modern literary milieu / establishment. All that, and lots of intelligent and witty reflections about reaching middle-age and what it means to be accomplished - something I particularly related to, being the adequate age - and about love and happiness. At a certain point, the character asks himself one of the most important questions about love - is it the good dear thing? or is it the lightning bolt? I think the story gives us his answer, and I absolutely agree with it.

I'm glad there are such good books being written, and think I will check other Andrew Sean Greer's books.

Sem comentários: