quarta-feira, janeiro 29, 2020

The Secret Commonwealth, by Phillip Pullman


A good friend once brought me Northern Lights to read while I was ill in hospital; I had never heard of it, and it was a wonderful discovery. The world created by Pullman, a kind of multiverse like our world but not quite like it, immediately got me entranced, like any good fantasy book does. I read the other two books of the trilogy right away, and loved them too. So naturally I was very curious about the second trilogy about Dust, and it hasn't disappointed me so far.

I liked La Belle Sauvage, and now The Secret Commonwealth is even better. I feel sometimes a problem with successful fantasy series is the authors starting to take themselves too seriously - that happens with Tolkien and the Game of Thrones series, for instance - but I think Pullman manages very well to keep a balance between his fantasy universe and dealing with serious questions. Because any good sci-fi or fantasy book deals really with our present issues and worries. So I'm still enjoying The Book of Dust, and looking forward to the next novel.

Sem comentários: