segunda-feira, dezembro 09, 2019

Giovanni's Room, by James Baldwin



I don't know why it took me so long to read something by James Baldwin, since I've heard of his writing for ages, always referred to in the most favourable terms, from sources I trust. But in a way it was a good thing - I always love to discover great books, and fortunately there is really a never ending supply of them.

Because this is a great book, and the author in undeniably a superb writer. Right from the beginning, I felt positively enchanted, mesmerized by the beautiful writing, the smooth succession of words and sentences. And then there's the story, and the characters, so real and heartbreaking. It's a beautiful love story, and a perfect depiction of human feelings, doubts, complexities and contradictions.

So, I was really impressed by Baldwin, and hope to read more of his work.

Sem comentários: