sábado, setembro 28, 2019

Maria Accanto, by Matteo B. Bianchi



I discovered Matteo B. Bianchi through a friend who recommended me Generations of Love, his first novel. I read it in a Spanish translation, and loved it - a fresh, funny and insightful coming out novel, full of references to the 1980s I also lived in and could relate so much to his writing and impressions. I wanted to read more of his work, so when his novel Maria Accanto came out, I waited for a translation, but it was taking too long, so I decided to read it in Italian.

Italian is a Latin language, I am Portuguese and know French, so it seemed a doable project. And it was, I had to use the dictionary lots of times at first, since I lacked the basic vocabulary and there were a lot of "false friends" words, but I managed to understand it pretty well and enjoy the reading. It was worth it, the book is very good, it reminded me of a Woody Allen movie - an out-of-worldly experience by a common girl, that makes her think and grow. All in a casual and funny tone and an optimistic mood, you feel happy upon reading it.

I'd really wish Matteo's books to be translated to English to get them the audience they deserve.

Sem comentários: