quarta-feira, dezembro 19, 2018

Hard to be a God, by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky


Many years ago, when I used to read a lot of science fiction, I read a book by Arkady and Boris Strugastky, Prisoners of Power. I don't remember any of it, except that I liked it. Recently, I came upon a reference to Hard to be a God in Masha Gessen's excellent The Future is History, and ordered it.
It's a very good book, a metaphor of the rise of totalitarian dictatorships and a reflection on the frustrating powerlessness of informed individuals to affect the course of the events unfolding before their eyes, which is always relevant, today as in times past.
Written as a swashbuckling tale, with more blood and gore than even Game of Thrones, it makes for an exciting read. And it manages to deliver what any good sci-fi book should - thought provoking about important issues relevant to our world, because any sci-fi book is really about our own world. The talks between the protagonist Rumata - a very engaging character - and the healer (proto-scientist) Budach and the rebel Arata are particularly moving. I highly recommend this book, and it made me want to read more by the Strugatsky brothers.

Sem comentários: